Friday, January 23, 2009

The Spelling Bee

At the risk of Mommyblogging, Gwennie made it to the school spelling bee.  We were pretty happy about that because Jethro and I are both good spellers, with Jethro being somewhat better - which irks me to no end seeing as how he's a fucking immigrant - but I digress.  I also said fucking.  I think that makes this less mommybloggish.

Anyway, poor little Gwennie didn't make it past her first word, which was 'yacht'.  I was just glad she wasn't the first one out.  But she was piiiiiissed off.  It was hilarious in a sad little way.  Before the spelling bee, the teacher said the kids who misspelled their words were supposed to sit on the stairs until the round was over and then they could go to their parents if they wanted.  Gwennie paid no heed and marched off the stairs straight to me with a scowl on her face that nearly made her eyes disappear.  I gave her a hug and told her it was okay and that 'yacht' was a pretty hard word that most of the other kids probably couldn't spell either.  "Yeah," she grumbled bitterly.  "It's not like it was "cotton," which was a word that got one of the other kids to round 2.

I let her send text messages to her father and her aunt and the sting abated.  The winner and the runner up got trophies, and all the kids got certificates, which made her a little happier.  She likes certificates.

Anyway, I'm off to do mommy things.  Catch y'all later.

No comments: