Friday, June 16, 2006

Soybeans and Soybean Accessories

What I thought was a terrible case of food poisoning from undercooked edemame last year, turns out to be vicious and thorough intestinal rejection of soy.

I discovered this a couple of weeks ago when we went to dinner with our friends Jen and Vince. I ordered the vegetarian dinner just for laughs and it came with this huge hunk of fried tofu. Very healthful. I ate most of it, but just couldn't quite see my way to finishing it, which is highly unusual for me. Not half an hour later, I was vaguely uncomfortable. An hour later, I was rushing into our other friends' apartment to take care of emergent business.

Now I ask you. Who can't tolerate soy? Soy is what they give people who can't tolerate normal food. It's like having an intolerance to gruel. I suppose it's just one other way that I don't play by the rules. I'm such a rebel.

No comments: