Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Carlos

One of our dearest and best friends was killed by a roadside bomb this week in Afghanistan. I've written about "Carlos" many times in the past, but I hoped and believed I'd never have to write something like this.

Everything I try to say sounds so maudlin and wouldn't begin to do him justice.


But the truth is there are a countless number of broken hearts tonight, mine and Jethro's among them.


I am ashamed to say that I didn't take the news with anything resembling courage. I want to be strong and brave just like he was, and I will try, but he was simply on another level.

I know in my heart why he went, and I know in my heart why he fought. And I will carry that with me for the rest of my life. His fight will be mine.


He left his job, his family, his girlfriend and his friends to make a better world for those who had nothing, and he deserves the sleep of the just.


Rest in peace my brother and my true friend. I loved you and will love you always.



More Carlos stories here, here, here, and here.

Jethro shares his remembrances.

And I would like to thank Dick for being around tonight.




No comments: