Monday, March 31, 2008

Rage

I'm in somewhat of a dilemma.

The school I'm attending isn't very organized from an administrative standpoint. It's mostly run by women who spend more time on coffee breaks and playing hostess than actually taking care of the details of running an institute of higher learning.

For example. Every six weeks we take up valuable class time to have an assembly. During this assembly, the students with high GPAs receive kindergarten style certificates of recognition, along with recognizing the students with perfect attendance. It is quite embarrassing. The rest of the time is spent socializing and eating whatever food local vendors have been conned into supplying.

This is all well and good, and if my class schedule weren't such a mess I'd have no complaints.

However, every time I try to go to the registrar to ask if they've gotten my transcripts or if I have a class schedule, I am told they are extremely busy and I will have to come back another time.

On my third attempt, I went to the lady in student affairs to complain. As luck would have it, the registrar (about whom I was forcefully voicing my displeasure) came up behind me in the doorway and heard everything. She then announced her presence and assumed I would be embarrassed that she'd heard. I wasn't. But I was even more angered by the fact that she thought she had the upper hand.

Normally, I'm a pretty laid-back, diplomatic person. But the second someone decides it's a good idea to be condescending or insinuate that their incompetence is justifiable and must be respected by me, I speak to wound.

It's a family characteristic. In these situations, we don't yell. We get very calm and slowly and deliberately humiliate the person who has roused our wrath. I don't say this with any pride. It's a very ugly thing to witness and rarely never solves the problem.

So after calmly and methodically eviscerating the registrar, I departed the school in a white hot rage.

Now I have to deal with the fact that I have insulted and alienated the only person who I can speak to regarding my schedule.

I'm considering finding another school, but I have a feeling most are like this and I didn't care enough to notice before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like the school earned their dressing down. Too bad they're not likely to learn from it.

You did remind them that YOU are paying THEM to provide you an education, yes?

Zelda said...

I did. That was the thesis of my diatribe.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that institutions of higher learning haven't changed much in the 20 years since I graduated to real life. There seems to be an attitude that because they are there you owe them not that they are supposed to be providing you a service for which you're paying.

It could be worse I got thrown out of a macro economics class by a professor who was a card carrying communist because I called him on his from each according to their ability to each according to their needs crap.

I later was removed from a political science class for pointing out that communism doesn't work because it relies on people to be fundamentally honest and since the people who find communism attractive believe the ends justify the means they are fundamentally dishonest. Boom...out I go (3rd class meeting) dang didn't even make a week.