Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Vacation Parts II, III & Conclusion

I really want to finish blogging about our trip. I'm afraid I can't do it justice, but I will give it a shot anyway.

After meeting Angi's family, we breezed on up to Virginia to meet a classmate of Jethro's from Chiropractic school. He and family were so sweet. They showed us their adorable little town and the office where both he and his father practice. It gave us some great ideas.

Then we drove up to Philadelphia, PA (yes, we're quite mad) to meet the one and only ALa of Blonde Sagacity. I know it's a cliche, but I really felt like I'd known her and her friend Liz for years - almost since childhood. Maybe it's growing up on the east coast and having religious, altruistically-minded parents. Anyway, Jethro and I had such a good time shooting the breeze with them that we eschewed the tourist sights in Philly, so we could hang out and try scrapple - a fried meat product native to the area. It wasn't bad. They bought Philly cheesesteaks the night we got in (which are fantastic, incidentally) and then took us to a Jewish diner where I got the dairy plate plus the order of scrapple. It was mostly carbs. But it was all delicious and ended up being my meal for the 12 hour drive back to Charlotte.

The wedding was fantastic. I went to get my hair done in the morning. Only gay men are allowed to touch my hair from now on. The dude did my hair for two and a half hours and it looked fantastic. It's a shame I was late to the wedding and had to tear across the church lawn like a demented, chronic, late-comer. My hair did not quite look the same afterwards. And I cried. I couldn't help it. I never know if I'm going to cry at weddings or not. Sometimes I think I'm going to be fine, and then it just comes upon me. One thing did make me laugh though. The brides mother was my elementary school principal. When she got up to do one of the readings, I had an immediate flashback and braced myself to hear "SIT DOWN AND BE QUIET! LUNCH TIME IS QUIET!!!"

The reception was awesome too. One of the bridesmaids was a friend of both mine and the bride from grade school. We were talking and she told me that our friend was so excited she was squealing. The bride is usually a very calm, wise person, but the thought of her squealing in excitement to get married was the nicest one to cross my mind at a wedding ever.

The reception was at a very cool place called The Big Chill. They had a great house band which made for some great dancing, not that I am much of a dancer. Jethro isn't either, but when he drinks he thinks he is which is awesome.

One interesting thing was that there were three couples at the wedding, including us, who were white/female-Asian/male. It's not the usual combination and was too interesting not to take note of. We ended up drunkenly calling ourselves the Fortune Cookie Club and someone suggested tattoos. I suppose it's funnier after a few drinks.

Anyway, it was a great trip. I was so happy we went.

Now back to the regularly scheduled blogcast.

No comments: