Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Zoo Redux

Just got back from Emma's class trip. We went to the Houston Zoo. It was a great success replete with the irony of the children enjoying the free-range rabbits and squirrels as much or more than the caged animals.

The only thing worthy of note was a little boy in my group. His mother packed him an extra bag of clothes in case he had an accident. According to her (which sounds a whole lot like Munchhausen syndrome) he has a very narrow urethra and doesn't feel the urge to urinate like the rest of us. I don't know what the deal is, but he is a giant 6 year old boy - very overweight - who had to be led by the hand to the restroom 3 times during the day.

His lunch would have made anyone snort. His mother had packed him macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, milk, juice, carrot sticks, fruit roll-ups, animal crackers, and a full size Snickers bar. He ate a good deal of it.

I wasn't observing him particularly until he came up to the other chaperons and me with tears in his eyes. "Um, I fell down," he said.

"Are you alright?" we asked.

"Yes, but Emma didn't help me up when I fell," he whined.

That kid has Never-Gonna-Have-A-Girlfriend, if not I'm-Gonna-Marry-Mommy-Someday written all over him.

No comments: