Saturday, October 02, 2004

A neighbor boy who is in first grade has a crush on our Gwennie, who is in Kindergarten. He wrote her a letter that went:

DEAR GWENNIE,

I DON'T WANT YOU TO MARRY ANY BODY BUT ME.

LOVE, TOMMY

I read the letter to her and asked if she wanted to marry him. She said, "Sure, he's my brother."

Not having any idea how to respond to that, I let the matter drop.

The other day, I was driving the little boy, his brother, and Gwennie to school. Gwennie, with her characteristic candor said (at full volume), "HA HA - YOU WANT TO MARRY ME, DON'T YOU, TOMMY"

That poor kid turned tomato red. He looked at me pleadingly, silently begging me to shut-up my daughter. No way in hell. It was too damn funny. I was enough of a good sport to pretend I didn't hear, though. And even though she totally humiliated him, he still likes her.

3 comments:

tinyhands said...

Despite not knowing what to do with it at that young age, childhood love is a powerful thing. A few weeks ago a girl that I've known since 2nd grade popped into my head and I haven't been able to think about anything else. I love the interviews in 'When Harry Met Sally' and the old couple who reunites after 30+ years. She says "I can't believe he remembered me."

Tom & Gwen 4-ever. :)

Zelda said...

Well, I don't want to make too big deal out of it. He is a nice little boy, and I like him, but his father is an admitted child-molester and she can't go over to his house or anything. I have nothing against little Tommy, but I want to avoid talking to Gwennie about his father for a few years. It's a sad world.

Anonymous said...

man i love kids. they speak so matter-of-factly that they are hilarious.