Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I am of two minds on the death penalty. On one hand, child rapists/murderers deserve death. Most assuredly they do, and that I do not question. If you can kill an innocent person, your life is forfeit, not only for the sake of justice, but for the sake of safety.

On the other hand, is it fair to put the responsibility for their deserved demise on an innocent person, i.e. the executioner?

This court ruling makes me seriously question whether we can sustain the death penalty. Apparently the lawyers for Michael Morales, the rapist and murderer now on CA (where else) death row, are allowed to have personal information on the executioners, but they are not allowed to make it public. I am skeptical to say the least. You have to presume they are going to share their legal strategy with the rapist and murderer, and there can be no doubt he will make it public. What are they going to do? Send him to the gas chamber?

Forget the lunacy that allows a man who raped and bludgeoned a 17 year old girl to death to claim that having a few needles stuck in his arm is "cruel and unusual" punishment. Now he can threaten the lives of those who are responsible for carrying out his legal punishment.

I am curious as to just how many more weapons we are going to hand over to these beasts, while at the same time, wonder if there is any such thing as cruel and unusual punishment for these individuals. They clearly don't deserve to have their crimes mitigated by reducing their sentences.

I suppose if we could find the collective will to take responsibility for purging these animals from society, I would support public, naked hanging. I just wouldn't eat my picnic lunch too close to the gallows.

5 comments:

Madzillah said...

I'll bring the potato salad.

Zelda said...

I'll bring the beer.

SlydeRule said...

Zelda, I agree with you completely. You can find my rant on the subject at http://slyderule.blogspot.com/

Slyde

Cigamybab said...

Wazz up Great Blog

Zelda said...

The USSR back in the good old days has the best approach towards the death penalty.
Once the sentence of death was read to the person charged, they'd walk you through a door out back of the courthouse.
As you exited the door, a 9mm would be brought to the back of your head, and a single round would be expended into the brainpan. You'd never see it coming, it wouldn't hurt, and no appeals, or money wasted on one.

Old school Russia did have some very expedient ways.
dick | Homepage | 04.04.06 - 12:28 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Dick, go the communist route. At least they were efficient, we just look ridiculous!
Brighton | Homepage | 04.04.06 - 3:24 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen.
Sam | Homepage | 04.04.06 - 3:43 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree. The Soviets had no style. I'm all for a little pomp and circumstance when we put the fuckers down. It's good for business.
Zelda | Homepage | 04.04.06 - 4:00 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who worked in the CJ system for many years, I'm weirdly against the death penalty. No matter what we do to the offender, it won't bring the victim back. If Roman was murdered, I wouldn't want to see his murderer put to death. Weird, I know. I'd rather he rot in prison and live out his life in those conditions. Death is too good, it's too quick and too easy. There's more pain in prison than in a quick needle in the arm. But then again, I'm weird that way. To put an executioner's information out there is crossing the line. Those that work at Walls either volunteer or their number comes up in a lottery. They don't relish their job, who would relish putting someone to dealth? When an execution is coming the "tone" of the prison changes, it trickles down from adminstration to inmates. Now who's going to volunteer or want to get picked? Who wants their family harrassed by the prisoner's family or cronies? Who? Oy, this just pisses me off. It's so wrong, when are we going to stop giving the power to the inmates? Hell, I blame the Warren court for opening this can of worms and that was 40 years ago!
Kristin | 04.04.06 - 5:31 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kristin - I know what you mean. I'm still undecided about the death penalty (if you can believe it), but I can joke about it. I don't feel any sorrow when a killer is put down, but I feel bad for the people who have to do it.

My real beef was with them giving the lawyers the executioners' information so they could judge whether they were experienced enough to administer a non-cruel and unusual punishment.

Whatever you think of the death penalty, surely it's ludicrous to be debating whether any method of death is "cruel and unusual" given what happened to the victims.

And yeah. The Warren Court should be roasting in the 7th circle of Hell.
Zelda | Homepage | 04.04.06 - 5:55 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's fucked up, no two ways about it. The why they die is more than humane as long as they are of sound mind and body. What's next the executions are made to sign lullibyes? I call bullshit.
Kristin | 04.04.06 - 7:52 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm... I'm undecided about the death penalty too. Surely, I think some people deserve to die, but, I would much rather see them rot in prison. There's the whole cost of keeping them up vs. the whole appeal process etc. It's an iffy topic, but like you, I feel right sorry for anyone who has to "throw the switch" so to speak.
Inanna | Homepage | 04.04.06 - 8:52 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanner - I would much rather see them get the punishment they don't want. But I guess that isn't so much the real issue. I actually like Bill O'Reilly's plan - hard-labor camps in Alaska. Make them wish they were dead.
Zelda | Homepage | 04.05.06 - 10:10 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about a lifetime of anal dry fucking? I think Kristin may be right on this one!
Brighton | Homepage | 04.06.06 - 9:50 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and I also believe that they should die EXACTLY the same way they killed the victim. I'd volunteer for the job myself.
Brighton | Homepage | 04.06.06 - 9:51 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------