Friday, August 27, 2004

More Kid Stuff

I walked out into my living room the other night, and Gwennie and Emma were sitting on the floor amidst thick clumps of dark brown hair. I looked at Emma (the baby) and she was missing a chunk from the right side of her head. "NOOOOOOOOOO!" I screamed. Tears welled up in her eyes. "I'm sowwy mommy," Emma sobbed. There was nothing to be done but sweep up the dear little curls as I wept. But wait. Baby's hair isn't curly. And it isn't thick. And if she had cut this much off of her head she would be completely bald. What the hell?

I examined the hair more closely and followed the trail to the real victim - one of their dolls. Whew. I felt eyes boring into the back of my head. I turned around and Gwennie was looking at me. "We just gave her a haircut because it was too long and curly." My eldest has something against long and curly hair. She had cut her own hair which had been long with beautiful little waves in it. I was so upset because my hair had always been stick straight. She was not wise to bring up her dislike of long, curly hair to me.

My daughters are a handful. Actually, Gwennie is a handful. She is so exasperating and funny. She has the energy of fifty mice on speed. She goes and goes and goes until she collapses in exhaustion. She will annoy you until you are just about to pop her one and then she says something so unbelievably funny that you can't do it. She is very pretty and little boys are already starting to beat each other up over who gets to play with her. It happened at her birthday party. She wanted to play with little boy #1 who smugly lorded it over little boy #2. Little boy #2 then proceeded to jump and pound little boy #1. Very Scary.

Emma is completely different. She is soft and sweet and shy. It takes alot to get her upset, but when she does, look out. Demon Posession. Baby Emma has her admirers as well. They told me at her nursery school that there was one little boy who was in love with her. He'd hold open doors for her, he hugged her all the time, and while she was taking a nap one day, he stood by her mat with his arms full of toys, waiting for her to wake up. She is heartbreakingly sweet.

Alright. Enough about my kids. Strangely enough, I don't like to write about them. I feel like I'll turn into one of those obnoxious moms who do nothing but talk about how great their kids are to the point where even the kids think she's full of crap. I hate it when people do that, so I try to avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes I like to write a little about them so we'll have it to look back on. Or if they do something funny. Like throw up on our brand new, queen size, pillow top mattress.

1 comment:

Traci Dolan said...

Z - Write about your kids all you want!!! Especially when they throw up on the mattress.